Join our Facebook group

History

Founded in 1877, Hollinwood Cricket Club has played a large part in local cricket and the community of Oldham since its creation when two teams united. In August 1905 the team became a member of the Saddleworth and District Cricket League and is proud to still play within this league today.

The current ground, situated off Lime Lane in Hollinwood, is the seventh ‘home’ for the team. The land was purchased in 1913 following a highly successful three day County cricket bazaar which raised £1150 enabling the land to be bought outright for £750.00.

Second XI League Winners 1914
Second XI League Winners 1914

In 1922 construction began on the existing large club house complete with pavilion allowing social events to take place. One such event was the opening of the clubhouse itself on 22nd April 1924 when a team comprised of Hollinwood and Saddleworth & District Cricket League players entertained a Lancashire XI. The visitors were all out for 112 with Saddleworth & District Cricket League scoring 67 for 2 before play came to a close.

Thanks to the generous gift of land by Mr J.N. Lees Milne in 1925, the cricket ground was extended to the size it is today. The brick built score box to the right of the ground is dedicated to James Middleton, housing a plaque bearing an image of his head and shoulders along with the words 'A memorial to James Middleton, a lover of cricket', the Middleton family having a long and distinguished connection with the club.

Tanner Cup Winners 1969
First XI Tanner Cup Winners 1969

1977 saw Hollinwood win its second Tanner Cup led by Stuart Bell and with Howard Lyon as professional. Hollinwood defeated Uppermill by 9 wickets with Hollinwood’s Trevor Dawson being awarded the Man of the Match. Howard Lyon went on to fill the role of professional for another 14 years.

The 1980’s saw no first XI success but the second XI won several league and cup titles mainly under the captaincies of John Hibbard and John Lloyd.

1996 saw the appointment of Andrew Wild as professional. Andrew originally started his cricketing career in Hollinwood’s junior side, before honing his skills in the Central Lancashire League. His batting and spin bowling, along with the pace bowling from John Deaville and Eddie Hardaker, coupled with the captaincy of Dave Ainsworth saw Hollinwood’s first XI achieve its first division championship. The trophy was presented by league chairman and stalwart Ian Schofield to Hollinwood’s chairman Ken Lawerence. Two years later the first XI were to repeat the success of 1996. Andrew was still professional backed by John and Eddie still taking many wickets.

First XI League Winners 1996
First XI League Winners 1996

It was a longer wait to retake the league. In 2006 the first XI again won the first division title with John Winterbottom as captain and Amir Bashir as professional.

The latest success for Hollinwood’s cricket team was winning the 20/20 Vision trophy in 2008, again with John Winterbottom at the helm and Amir Bashir as professional.

Alongside the cricket team, Hollinwood boasts one of the best bowling greens (opened in April 1948) in the borough, which bustles during the summer months. During the winter the bowlers are catered for with two indoor short mat teams. These prove very popular and are successful within their leagues. There are also darts and crib teams for both men and women. These are very well attended and offer a lively evening! The ground is also home to 3 football teams.

Within its 132 year history the ground at Hollinwood Cricket Club has been home to many sports including Tennis, Lacrosse and Hockey. Unfortunately these sports did not prove to have sustainable followings and were subsequently disbanded.

Return to top